For many years students have relied on recording their lectures both in audio or video. But there are also some drawbacks to this process. It needs a lot of time to review the video or audio. When students want to listen to the audio or watch the video, they need to observe all its details continuously.
Students need almost four to five hours to transcribe a recording of one hour. This gradually proved to be a time-wasting method. Academic researchers use this academic transcription process as it is a great job to maintain a record of the work.
Benefits received by students
Some of the benefits that students receive are:
- Academic specialties are focused on this process instead of replaying the complete video/audio, which is an inefficient process. Transcription helps to have a look at the content, which is only essential.
- Researchers must spend more time on work that is beneficial to them. Interviews and lectures already take a lot of hours, but it will be time-wasting if you again spend four to five hours replaying an audio/video of one hour. The academic transcription process is time-consuming.
- The transcription service allows the researchers to have access to good quality texts. It also helps to go through qualitative data of the research. Transcription helps to identify anomalies and patterns.
- The content of the research is reachable to everyone. This is easy to use and well-designed, which makes everyone participate.
- This enables the students to go through the research content at a glance and find out that all the contents mentioned are genuine.
One minute of an audio/video takes about four to five hours to be translated as it needs to be replaced every time you want to listen to any particular content. But in the case of transcription, you can have the content ready with qualitative pieces of information.
A transcriptionist can transcribe the same data in which you would spend about four to five hours to have a read to one-hour of reading. The transcripted data saves your time to recall the lectures which you have attended in a short span.
Use of transcripted data by students, faculty, and schools
Students – For students, this process is very beneficial as the transcriptionist transcribes the essential data to focus on your project. They also proofread the data they provide with a proper check on grammar and spellings. Therefore, you will receive the final product that is already formatted.
Faculty– The students overhear the lectures they provide or don’t find complete interest. In that case, a transcriptionist is hired so that the class’s lessons are adequately transcripted with meaningful data that will be beneficial for both the students and the faculty. Students can quickly review transcripted scripts for a piece of better knowledge.
Schools– Transcriptions by the school are used to post data for students who have enrolled for online courses. The lessons taught to the students who have registered for an on-campus course are transcripted and posted online to keep online course students’ constant engagement.
Academic studies require a proper amount of energy and time. Transcription helps to save both by delivering quality data.